Thursday, February 10, 2011

How the glucose screening went.

Today I had my screening test to check for gestational diabetes. I went in to the lab, was given 10 oz of orange glucose drink, and was told to drink it down within five minutes. An hour later I'd have my blood drawn to...I don't know, make sure I still had some. I guess.

Everyone who's ever been pregnant and had this test done will warn you about it and make it sound really scary (migraines! puking!) or tell you how gross the drink tastes (like flat orange soda! or cough syrup!) but I was pleasantly surprised to find out it didn't taste too bad. In fact, it reminded me of those sugary drinks in the plastic barrels with the foil tops that I used to have as a kid. My mom would buy me one at the Food Lion if I behaved myself while she did the grocery shopping. So there was a Pavlovian response built right in, and I started the test feeling pretty good!


The taste got a little old about halfway through, but I was prepared to soldier through.


What I wasn't prepared for? Was the sugar crash that came next.

35 minutes later

45 minutes later


One hour later

I should get the results tomorrow or early next week. But in the meantime, I'm going to sleep. And then when I wake up, I am going to single-handedly eat the quart of ice cream I made James buy me as a reward on the way home. For training purposes. Next time, sugar, I'm coming for YOU.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad things went well so far. What flavor of ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to type that it was definitely not orange, that I will never eat or drink anything orange again, but then I started thinking that my vanilla ice cream mixed with glucola might be actually really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dasha started turning somersaults about five minutes after I finished the drink. She was all "Whee! What is THIS stuff, Mom?" She got the sugar high, I got the sugar crash. And then the post-blood-drawn crash (almost literally - very nearly passed out right there). Not one of my happier pregnancy memories. So I'm very, very glad it went well for you for the most part!

    ReplyDelete